Thursday, July 14, 2011

Goodbye Harry

I don't think there is one thing that had more influence over my childhood than Harry Potter.

Harry Potter is more than a book and movie series. Harry Potter is a world I could spend my whole life in.


I can close my eyes and I am at Honey dukes. Or the Great Hall. Or the Ministry.

Harry Potter is what I played on the playground, fighting with my friends over who got to be Harry.

I do not read about Hermione Granger, I know Hermione Granger. And I know Dudley and Draco because I know what it is like to be bullied.

Harry Potter is a thing that brings my family closer together. The first four books were read to me by my father. A few months ago I gave the first book to my nine year old brother. He is in the middle of the seventh book now. Whenever he reads something funny he comes to knock on my bedroom door and tell me about it.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione are the people I grew up with. When I didn't have friends, I had them and their story.

Harry Potter is story I have read a dozen times, so much that I have already worn though a whole set of book and had to buy new ones.

Harry Potter is the story that inspired me to write. My first story was a Harry Potter fan fiction.

Harry Potter is the thing that created friendships.

The end of Harry Potter is more than the end of a series, it is the end of a long chapter in my life. Tonight I am going to go to a theater with my best friend , surrounded by annoying fan girls. (Which I am one of) and at midnight I am going to see the end of my childhood. I am going to laugh and I am going to cry. And I am going to know my life will never be the same.

Harry Potter is one of the best things to have ever happened to me.

Jo, I thank you so much for this gift you have given us.

Now I am going to cry in the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment