Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fats are people too

I need a break from homework, so I'm gonna go on a good ol' rant. Ranting tends to make me feel better.

This week I have officially given up on mainstream magazines. It has been coming awhile. I love clothes but fashion lately has been boring me. I am also sick of reading a fashion magazine to read about fashion and end up reading about a ton of weight loss advice. A couple night ago I was going through my mothers In Style. 'The Best Dress' was an awful item of clothing worn by, I believe it was, Jessica Alba. And then I read this by Maura Kelly

Should "Fatties" Get a Room? (Even on TV?)

To save you the trouble of going to the Marie Claire website, I'm going break it down for you.

Mike & Molly. As CNN explains, "the show centers around a couple who meet at an Overeaters Anonymous group [and] has drawn complaints for its abundance of fat jokes [as well as] cries from some viewers who aren't comfortable watching intimacy between two plus-sized actors."
I have never heard of Mike and Molly and it sounds like a terrible show. I have this great idea if you are uncomfortable with fat people living normal lives. Go watch The Biggest Loser.

My initial response was: Hmm, being overweight is one thing — those people are downright obese! ....Yes, anorexia is sick, but at least some slim models are simply naturally skinny. No one who is as fat as Mike and Molly can be healthy. And obesity is costing our country far more in terms of all the related health problems we are paying for, by way of our insurance, than any other health problem, even cancer.



Who are you to say the actors that play Mike and Molly are not healthy. Do you follow them around watching their eating habits?

And I would like to point out, I weight at least 215lbs and I almost never get sick.

So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair.


Well excuse us for living.

And really am sorry for your dislike of strong female characters in fiction. Sorry Princess Leia, you are as disgusting as a fat person. (But I really should not make fun of the spelling, I suck at it myself)

I would really like to go to your house and show you some of the rad belly dancing I have been learning. I can do crazy awesome things with my 47in hips.

Now, don't go getting the wrong impression: I have a few friends who could be called plump. I'm not some size-ist jerk.


Kind of like that guy that refused to marry an interracial couple, and then defended himself by saying he has black friends.

And yes sweetie, you are a size-ist jerk.

What do you guys think? Fat people making out on TV — are you cool with it? Do you think I'm being an insensitive jerk?



Yes and yes.

But wait there is more! She has made and update.

I know a lot of people truly struggle to lose weight— for medical and psychological reasons—and that many people have an incredibly difficult time getting to a healthy size. I feel for those people and I'm truly sorry I added to the unhappiness and pain they feel with my post.


Umm, thanks. But I am happy with my weight, just so know.

I would like to reiterate that I think it's great to have people of all shapes and healthy sizes represented in magazines


Not all sized are being represented in the media. We are getting there, but we are not there yet.

I was talking about a TV show that features people who are not simply a little overweight, but appear to be morbidly obese. (Morbid obesity is defined as 100% more than their ideal weight.)


Oh, I see. Its okay to call them gross becuase there morbidly obese.

Seriously though, the somewhat nice apology has been ruined by that statement.



To that point (and on a more personal level), a few commenters and one of my friends mentioned that my extreme reaction might have grown out of my own body issues, my history as an anorexic, and my life-long obsession with being thin. As I mentioned in the ongoing dialogue we’ve been carrying on in the comments section, I think that's an accurate insight.


Well now I feel awkward.

People have accused me of being a bully in my post; I never intended to be that--it's actually the very last thing I want to be, as a writer or a person. But I know that I came off that way, and I really cannot apologize enough to the people whom I upset.
I am in a forgiving mood today so I accept your apology. Please don't act like this again.

My thoughts of this article can be summed up by this video.



Loves and Hugs,
Zoe Danger Awesome

1 comment:

  1. Zoe, you go, girl. You just go.
    I really don't like how people can be such judgmental jerks. She's lucky you were in a good mood.
    Everyone is beautiful in their own way. c: Seriously.

    ReplyDelete